Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Back to the pamphlet

All the commercial breaks from my book have left many wondering when I’d get back to the meat of this blog!
July 25 - what we do not eat
August 1 - what we do eat
August 7 - balance with all of this (it's all OK, in moderation!)
July 20 - Aug 24: We'll be out hitting the trail, backpacking, canoeing, camping, and all other non-electronics related activities we can do. Blog break! The postings are scheduled, but I am not actually in front of a computer.

Truth is, we all want it: energy, vibrancy, H-E-A-L-T-H. Some think losing weight is their goal when the truth is, that is so limited. The focus needs to be on what is going into the body – is it whole food? So many “diet” foods are still laden with hydrogenated oils (that in themselves make it more difficult to lose weight), sugar, chemicals, and chemical sweeteners like Aspartame.

The first step is realizing that what the scale says cannot determine your sense of value. So many women determine their day by the number that appears in the morning on that scale. Being able to realize that we are all in process and that accomplishing a certain number is not going to make one like themselves more begins when one looks in the mirror and says honestly, “God made me, beautifully and perfectly and that means even now, when I don’t think I look good I know this and I accept me.” Otherwise, when the weight comes off and we still wonder why we are struggling with self-acceptance we become baffled. It’s because we have not worked through the deeper issues.

Just like the Christian Faith, we are always in process. We never arrive. We often say, “when I do this or accomplish that or get rid of that bad habit or lose this much weight…then I will be content with who I am” but when we get to that plateau, we realize the mountain keeps going up, there’s still growth to happen. The trick lies in between the sense of contentment and the desire to keep learning, keep growing, keep striving.

Don't be hard on yourself. Keep at it, have fun, and stay on that horse even if you fall off some days.

2 comments:

Karyn said...

You hit the nail on the head Julie! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

BeccaB said...

Wow...your post is just another confirmation for me. I've been trying to decide what my thesis should be on and I really felt like God was leading me to focus on self-acceptance by seeing ourselves through God's eyes. And here you write about that very thing! I'm probably going to start a blog in the next month on the subject, so make sure you visit and comment!