Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What's Cookin'? - April Edition


I'd love to hear what's cookin' in your home! If you decide to join me and post a recipe, leave a comment and I will list you with a link to your blog in a post next week. I am not too into recipes that use Cream of something soups as that takes the fresh, homemade, healthy bend out of the recipe. If your recipe idea is fresh, healthy, and yummy - send a comment and I'll list you in my post coming up!

Got this recipe from my cooking expert friend Sacha. Culinary materpieces happen daily at her home.

Here's a yummy way to get the health benefits of squash into your life and kids life:

Roasted Butternut Squash & Thyme Soup

1 large butternut squash (halved, seeds removed, roasted, cooled, peeled and chopped)
1 potato, peeled and cut into small dices
1/2 stick butter
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 C chopped carrots
1/2 C chopped celery
1 T minced garlic
2-3 Cups chicken broth
1 bunch fresh thyme, stems removed
2 sprigs fresh rosemary, 1 picked and chopped, 1 whole
1 bay leaf
1 T brown sugar (I omitted this)
1/2 - 1 C half and half (I omitted this)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

  1. cook squash
  2. Saute onion and carrots in butter until onion is translucent and carrots begin to soften. Add celery and then garlic, cooking for several minutes more.
  3. Add squash, potato, broth, 1/2 of thyme, chopped and whole rosemary and bay leaf
  4. Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for 20 min
  5. Remove whole rosemary sprig and bay leaf
  6. Puree soup with hand blender or with a regular blender.
  7. (I did not do step 7): Add half and half, brown sugar, remaining thyme and salt and pepper. Simmer soup for 10 - 15 min more.
YUM!! Family test:

they loved it!

Made cornbread too. Recipe to follow on Friday, April 3rd.



1 comment:

Debbie Chavers said...

Hi gal!
The soup sounds yummy ! I will try to share one of mine later...got to get back to painting:)