Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Friendship Burritos

This recipe has circulated through my close friends - I think it's Ruth's - but I first tasted it from Jen who made it for me when I was recovering from my sinus surgery in 2006. Love these friends!

So, I soaked the beans on Sunday night, cooked them while I taught piano on Monday, and kept them in the fridge until I needed them on Thursday, when we ate them up.

Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos
5 C peeled cubed sweet potatoes
1/2 t salt
2 t oil
3 1/2 C diced onions
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 T minced fresh green chile
4 t ground cumin
4 t ground coriander
4 1/2 c cooked black beans
2/3 C lightly packed cilantro leaves
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 t salt
8 eight-inch flour tortillas
salsa, as garnish
Preheat oven to 350.
Cover sweet potatoes with water and salt. Bring to a boil then simmer till tender, about 10 min, Drain and set aside.
Suate onions, garlic, and chile with oil till onions are tender, about 7 min.
Add cumin and coriander. Cook 2 -3 min longer, stir frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
In food processor, combine black beans, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and cooked sweet potatoes and puree. till smooth
Mix in cooked onions and spices. Lightly oil large baking dish.
Spoon 2/3 to 3/4 c of filling into tortilla, roll and place seam-side down in dish.
Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 min till hot.

Serve with salsa and enjoy!

No comments: