Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Delicious herb bread

Your family will rise up and call you blessed if you serve them this! We'll be eating this herb bread this week with my prized Pea soup recipe.

Yogurt Herb bread
I'll be using yogurt I made in my crockpot from my yummy raw goat milk I get from a little farm near my house. Of course, mix your 3 Cups of whole wheat pastry flour, kamut or spelt flour with 2 C of yogurt for 12 to 24 hours.
Place flour mixture in food processor and process for several minutes to knead the dough. Add remaining ingredients and process until well blended:
  • 1/2 cup filtered water
  • 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 2 t baking soda
  • 1/4 stick melted butter
  • 1/3 c maple syrup *real maple syrup friends! Not pancake corn-syrup
  • 1 t dried dill
  • 1/2 t dried oregano
  • 1/2 t dried thyme
  • 1/2 t dried basil
  • 1/2 t dried tarragon
Pour into a well-buttered and floured loaf pan (preferably stoneware). Bake at 350 degrees for at least 1 1/2 hours.
Running gal's Famous Pea soup *famous in my house anyway!*
Soak one pound of Organic green peas overnight then drain. I buy mine from Azure Standard.
In a crockpot in the morning, put 1 pound of green peas, 2 quarts of water, 2 smoked ham hocks, 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped onion, and 1 chopped celery in the pot and turn on medium for the day. Should be ready by dinner. Sometimes, for the last 3 or 4 hours, I turn it to high to make sure those peas get cooked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had the privillege of being served this soup at your home! My daughter, usually a S L O W eater, downed a bowl in no time! Yea for murky green soups that kids love!

A question: If I make bread it has to be dairy-free. Is the benefit of soaking the flour gained if it's done in water?

(Sister-in-law) Nancy