Thursday, January 14, 2010

The History of Medicine

"What causes one person to catch a cold or the flu and another to avoid it? Why, with serious outbreaks of infectious diseases, are only a certain number stricken, and of those, why do only some people die?"

This is how the new book I am reading begins. (The Immune System Cure by Lorna R Vanderhaeghe and Patrick J.D. Bouic, PH.D.)
This link will take you to a digital copy of the entire book: http://books.google.com/books?id=EDajgKKO1woC&dq=The+Immune+System+Cure+by+Lorna+R+Vanderhaeghe+and+Patrick+J.D.+Bouic,+PH.D.&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=hZZTS4b8Op2ssQOt2vD4DA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=The%20Immune%20System%20Cure%20by%20Lorna%20R%20Vanderhaeghe%20and%20Patrick%20J.D.%20Bouic%2C%20PH.D.&f=false

I love it! Can't wait to see the details of this unfold, as I ask myself this question all the time.

When I started working full time this year in a school you wouldn't believe how many people's attempt to encourage me sounded something like this, "Oh boy! You are going to be so sick this year! The first year teaching in a new school - you'll catch everything."

I knew they were wrong but didn't know exactly why. Why did the Swine flu not touch us? Why does strep rip through our school each year and my kids don't get it? How can I be surrounded by kids with fevers, green snot, coughs, and everything else and remain healthy? Why has not one member in my family even had a cold this entire school year so far? We'll probably get at least one cold this year...but some years that doesn't even happen.

So, I plan to include you in this discovery - and maybe inspire us all to make healthy changes or continue doing some of the things we are already doing.


Clue #1 - could be wrapped up in how we deal with sickness. We don't medicate. We don't use antibiotics or cold medicine or antacids. If we begin to feel slightly under the weather, we use herbs, eat more organic vegetables, drink nourishing teas, and rest. Period.

Opening poem in the book:

The History of Medicine

2000 BC
Here, eat this root.

1000 BC
That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.

1805 AD
That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this portion.

1940 AD
That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.

1985 AD
That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.

2000 AD
That antibiotic doesn't work anymore. Here, eat this root....

Stay tuned for more clues as I discover them and share here.

3 comments:

John in FL said...

I love that poem!

Brigid Helene said...

I'm with you on that! My family never gets the flu shot and we never get the flu. Very little sugar and medicine. Lots of Farmer's Market fresh veggies, sleep, and exercise.

Yule {b}Log said...

That poem is hilarious!