Sunday, May 27, 2012

Ran my first 10K a few weeks ago!

Wow!  10ks are fun!  We raised nearly $20K for the cause and enjoyed a great run with 200 plus people.

I was 1st overall for the woman with a 42:49 time.  First mile clocked in at 6:20 and I didn't know what to think of that.  My first mile of a 5K is usually about 5:40 so I figured that my pace was fine...but wow was I tired by mile 4!  I think I down shifted for a couple of miles to a cruising pace and then I picked it up for the last 1/2 mile to average a 6:53 mile pace.

I don't train or ever even keep track of how many miles I run.  I just run.  It's the one thing in my life I have decided not to be scientific about.  I don't want to track my runs on some GPS website and figure out my pacing.  I don't want to create interval training on the track (although, I do just for fun, sometimes go out to  a track and interval train, but this is a rare occurrence!).

I just like to don the shoes, walk out my front door, and start running.  I turn around when it feels right and I head home.  I never know how many miles I ran.

So, I really didn't anticipate that I have been running at sub-7 minute pace as I have never calculated it.  That's what I paid my entrance fee for I guess - so they can tell me how far to go, when to turn around and tell me how fast I went.

Anyway, I won a really cool handmade necklace that says "Gotta run" for being the first mom to cross the finish line (it was held the day before Mother's Day) and I won this gorgeous hand made bronze medallion medal with the mountain skyline of our area carved into the center of it for being the overall Woman's finisher. http://www.justalittlecharm.com/

that was a fun day but I happily return to my daily runs where I let my mind drift to whatever it wants to drift to.

- gotta run!

1 comment:

I spy God said...

Awesome time, and great post!! I, honestly, am NOT a runner and envy those who enjoy it and do it well. I have enjoyed your blog very much. Thank you!!